A Destination Management Company (DMC) is an agency that offers local knowledge and provides professional services for the planning and organisation of all kind of corporate events
A DMC, or Destination Management Company, is a firm, company or agency that offers its local knowledge of a particular area and it is normally hired to provide professional services for the planning and organisation of all kind of corporate events, such as meetings, conferences, exhibitions, incentive travel, amongst others MICE related events.
Some of the tasks of a DMC include all ground transportation and logistics of an event, but they are also in charge of booking the most suitable hotel for the group, organising activities for the group and/or the spouse program, booking restaurants, coach, guide, selecting and booking the conference or meeting venue, as well as overseeing all aspects of the trip, from arrival to departure. Another aspect to bear in mind is that a DMC can, from scratch, organise and design the most spectacular events you can imagine.
DMCs are often hired by foreign or out-of-town companies who are looking to organise any kind of event, such a gala dinner, conference or incentive trip but are not familiar with the area. The strength of a DMC is the local knowledge of both the area and the relevant suppliers, who are key to the success of an event. Is your hotel located in a good area? Are those restaurants that good?. A DMC can also help you overcome language barriers and help you understand cultural norms and expectations.
Why use a DMC?
As we mentioned in our post ‘Benefits of using a DMC‘, hiring the services of a DMC is often the best decision you can make. If you have to organise a conference, for example, you have limited power and knowledge about what works best in that destination, which are the best suppliers, which catering company offers the best options for your group or why things are done a certain way.
hiring the services of a DMC saves you both time and money
A DMC will help you overcome all sort of obstacles and will become your one-stop shop for all suppliers. You will only take care of your customers while they will take care of the rest. Having just one contact will simplify things, and your chosen DMC will filter and act on your behalf, avoiding unnecessary correspondence and wasting precious time.
You are maybe wondering, can I afford a DMC? Is a DMC expensive? We have the answer for you: hiring the services of a DMC will save you both time and money. Your chosen DMC knows what will work best on each occasion and will negotiate the best prices for you, thanks to their trusted relationship with local suppliers.
Another aspect to take into account is that a DMC will work for you and will be part of your team. DMCs are your most loyal partners when it comes to organising a corporate or MICE event- just think of them as your best ally. A DMC’s job is to make you succeed.
What is MICE?
You have probably heard the term ‘MICE’, since we have, for instance, used it in our post. The word MICE has nothing to do with our rodent friends, it is an acronym for Meetings, Incentives, Conferences and Exhibitions.
Meridional Events is a DMC offering MICE expertise, an acronym for Meetings, Incentives, Conferences and Exhibitions
In other words, it’s a kind of business tourism and it’s also labelled under the generic ‘Meetings Industry’. Let’s see what each of the components of MICE stands for:
- Meetings: when a group of people come together to discuss something, with the purpose of achieving a common goal. There are different types of meetings, such as lectures, seminars, workshops or even board meetings, kick-off meetings or staff meeting.
- Incentives: something that encourages a person to do something. Within the MICE industry, incentive travel is a tool to stimulate employees, with the main purpose of encouraging them to achieve a specific business goal. Incentives are fun-focused, with an activities programme tailored to suit the company’s ethos.
- Conferences: an event where a group of people formally discuss different business matters. Conferences can be about academic or scientific matters and even professional or organisational.
- Exhibitions: an organised presentation and display of a selection of items. Within the MICE industry, they are also called trade shows, trade fairs or expos and are organised to showcase products, trends or services to customers or other industry peers.
What other additional services does Meridional Events offer?
In Meridional Events, we are experts in organising corporate and business events in Andalusia. Besides all the above-mentioned services, we help you with the following:
- Golf: we coordinate your whole stay, booking your accommodation, rental car hire, green fee reservation, advising about the most suitable courses, restaurant bookings and additional activities.
- Team building: the most suitable activities to strengthen the team bonds, as well as a perfect way to break the ice. Adding SCR aspects, your team building activity will not only help your business, but also the community.
- Special interest groups: they focus on a specific subject or a combination of some of them. The most common areas of interest are:
- Mediterranean gastronomy, whether it is a Michelin-starred restaurant route, an Andalusian or Spanish cuisine course or a tapas tour.
- agriculture, from a visit to some of the most renowned bodegas in Andalusia to the exotic fruit plantations in Granada and Malaga, without forgetting the olive groves and the harvesting and the grinding of the olives.
- animal husbandry, where you could visit fighting bull and horses estates or farming developments or dehesas, where the Iberian pig lives and where you will know all the secrets of the Iberian ham.
- architecture, thanks to Andalusia’s rich architectural past, it is possible to visit monuments belonging to every style. Modernist buildings, Gothic cathedrals, Renaissance palaces and Unesco World Heritage Site monuments.
- flamenco, where you can enjoy a masterclass with experimented dancers, visit the Festival de Flamenco in Jerez de la Frontera or attend one of the many flamenco shows in Andalusia.
- industrial tourism, visiting factories, both in used or not, to learn how different sectors use different production processes and machinery.
- art, by visiting the extensive network of museums in Andalusia, highlighting Malaga as a city of museums, with more than 37 spaces that include different art movements.
- bird watching, from any of the natural spaces in Andalusia, emphasising Doñana National Park and the Strait of Gibraltar.
- Gala dinners: organised independently or as part of your incentive or conference. We do organise gala dinners in some of the most impressive places of Andalusia, for the delight of your clients.
- Company anniversaries: we organise your company anniversaries – from choosing the right venue to catering, entertainment, transportation and the decoration, so you can just focus on your guests.
As you can see, there are countless fields where a DMC can help you. DMCs always seek to provide the best and most unusual solutions within budget when it comes to organising an event. They are a resourceful ally that can help you thrive.
If you are planning a corporate or a MICE event, here at Meridional Events we help you succeed. We are a local DMC, experts in Andalusia and the South of Spain and have proven international experience. Get in touch with us and we will gladly organise your meetings, conferences, incentives, team building activities and golf breaks.