Andalusia could be considered a golfers paradise. Home to almost a hundred golf courses, with the vast majority located at the Costa del Sol – or Costa del Golf, as some call it, it is the perfect location to be able to enjoy your favourite sport under a shining sun all year round.
Over 70 golf courses can be found at the Costa del Sol (Malaga‘s coastline), at that means spectacular views of the Mediterranean Sea, the nearby mountains, the Rock of Gibraltar and, if you are lucky, the mountains of Africa.
There are golf courses to suit all tastes, all levels and all players. Here are some of our favourites:
- Real Club Valderrama – Considered one of the best golf courses in Europe, it was constructed in 1974 following the designs of Robert Trent Jones. It was, for a period of 15 years, home to the Volvo Masters. It also held the Ryder Cup in 1997 as well as the Spanish Open in 2016. The golf club has a single 18-hole course and a 9-hole par 3 course. The course most known holes are par 5 4th hole “La Cascada” and the par 5 17th hole, where Tiger Woods struggled during the WGC American Express Championship, but also where Miguel Angel Jimenez scored an albatross.
- Real Club de Golf Sotogrande – It was Robert Trent Jones first design in Europe, and opened its doors in 1964. After all these years, Sotogrande still places itself amongst as a favourite amongst worldwide golfers, due to its great design, its calm and sophistication and the elegant clubhouse with exclusive facilities. The cork, pine, eucalyptus and palm trees are strategically positioned, adding difficulty to each hole. The par 3 4th hole is one of the trademarks of RCGS.
- Rio Real Golf – Designed by Javier Arana and opened in 1965, it is the oldest golf course in Marbella. The course runs alongside the Real river, an integral part of the course and the views from the 4th and 5th hole are worth the visit. The course is suitable for all players, due to its slightly elevated holes. Watch out for the par 4 4th dogleg left.
- Finca Cortesín – Open in 2006 and designed by Cabell B. Robinson, ranks on the top 5 Golf Courses in Spain by Golf Digest. The experience not only includes the golf course but the resort and the attention to detail that comes with it. Some events like the Volvo World Match Play Championship have taken place at Cortesín, whose hole 10 is a total must, offering breathtaking views of Estepona mountains.
- La Cala Resort – The only resort with three 18-hole golf courses, two of which feature on the Top 100 courses in Spain. Make sure you try all three courses – Europa, Asia and America, all designed by Cabell B. Robinson. The Asian course is the most challenging of the three, with four par 5 holes that demand skills and strategy. The American course offers spectacular views over the Mediterranean Sea and the nearby mountains.
This is, of course, just a selection of some of the golf courses found in Southern Spain. Whether you are a keen golfer or just wish to enjoy a golf academy session during your corporate trip in Andalusia, please do get in touch with us and we will sort out everything, so your only worry will be where to play next.